Spirals are frequently used in free-motion quilting, but they can be deceptively difficult to get right.
Here are four steps to perfect spirals:
- Begin with a “Rail”. This can be a quilted line or a drawn line that will be erased later.
- Stitch to the top rail and curve down, but finish the lower part of your spiral above the bottom rail. This allows space for the “Escape”
- Continue to curve inward and stop in the middle (at the X).
- Now reverse direction and bisect the lines you have already created.
That’s it! Easy as pie! (And we all know how easy pies are to make!?)
Over the next several days, I will add many, many motifs that employ spirals….
We’ve only just begun!
- Assignment 5-Divide and Conquer (theinboxjaunt.com)